Recently Resourceful Me Art Therapy was featured on Wightman TV’s “Healthy Living with Laura.” I am so excited to share the episode with you!
The show’s host Laura Van den Borre is a Canadian Certified Pedorthist and the owner of Align Pedorthics. I have the privilege of working with Laura at Shift Family Health Centre where we both have office space.
During this episode, Laura and I chat all about what art therapy is and how it works. We also try an art activity together to give you a glimpse into what happens during an art therapy session.
Here are the topics we cover in our interview:
- What is art therapy?
- Do you have to like art to do art therapy?
- How is art therapy different from making art at home?
- What is my specific approach to art therapy? What makes Resourceful Me Art Therapy different?
- What might a parent notice in their child that could be a sign that they are feeling overwhelmed and may need some support?
- What kinds of challenges are a good fit for art therapy?
- If a family is interested in art therapy, what does the process look like?
- What typically happens during an art therapy session?
Here’s what we explore through the art therapy demonstrations:
- How an art task would differ depending on a child’s age (using the example of anxiety in a five year old versus a twelve year old)
- How to make a marble painting (Laura actually makes one!)
- Different ways that marble painting could be used with clients